Thursday 10 May 2007

Lying







I believe that whether or not lying is good or bad, it's inevitable. Everyone lies. I wish I could find a link to it now, but I remember reading about a psychological study that some people did where they found out that children lie, even while they're too young to have learnt from others.

As mentioned in the lecture, it depends on the severity of the lie. People are not likely to lie about trivial things. If you've just got up in the morning and ask for the time, not many people are going to say "10 pm!!", or something. It would just be pointless. I believe that people lie more than they think. It seems like the lie counts as a lie only if the person considers it immoral. An example of this could be when someone asks "How're you?". Most people will say "Not too bad" or something similar, despite how they might really feel. This is lying, but not many people would consider it as such.

I suppose it's all down to opinion.

No comments: